Monday 25 July 2016

Monday's assignment





Good afternoon everyone,

In order to get familiar with the Canadian workplace, there are a lot of things we need to consider. 
Here is a list of business idioms that are taken from this website. Please go over them and try to understand each one’s meaning and then follow the tasks below.

Task one: 
Pick five to six of the following idioms and use them in sentences of your own.

Task two:
Compose a short story about any event/meeting that has happened to you at your previous workplace. Use at least five to six from these idioms n your story.

Take three:
Request two from your peers to check and edit your work before you publish it on your blog.




time's up
"Time's up" means that the time for something or someone has ended.
I think his time's up as the CEO. They're going to replace him as soon as they find a suitable candidate.
touch base
To "touch base¨ means to make contact with someone.
Let me make a few phone calls to try to get an answer to your question. I'll touch base with you later today.
twist someone's arm
To "twist someone's arm" means to persuade or convince someone to do something that he or she does not want to do.
The owner thought the advertising budget was a little high. We had to twist his arm to get him to agree to it.
under the table
Something done secretly (and usually illegally) in the business world is done "under the table."
To avoid paying taxes, they paid some of their employees under the table.
up in the air
If something is undecided, it is "up in the air."
We're looking for a test market right now, but nothing has been decided yet. Everything's still up in the air.
uphill battle
Something that is difficult to achieve because of obstacles and difficulties is an ¨uphill battle.¨
Winning the election is going to be an uphill battle. He doesn't have a lot of support at the moment.
upper hand
If someone has an advantage over someone else, he or she has the "upper hand."
He was more experienced and well respected, so he had the upper hand in the argument.
white collar
A ¨white collar worker¨ is someone who works in an office (customer service, management, sales, etc.) The opposite of a white collar worker is a ¨blue collar worker.¨ A blue collar worker is someone who works with his or her hands (manufacturing, construction, maintenance, etc.) ¨White collar¨ (and ¨blue collar¨can also be used to describe a job, position, or place.
There are mostly manufacturing positions here. There aren't a lot of white-collar jobs here.
win-win situation
A "win-win situation" is a situation where everyone involved gains something.
We were happy to get the contract, and they were happy to get such a good price. It was a win-win situation.
word of mouth
If something spreads by "word of mouth," people hear about it by informal conversation with friends, family members, acquaintances, etc.
A lot of local restaurants rely on word of mouth to get new customers.
writing on the wall
The "writing on the wall" refers to the evidence and clues that something (usually negative) is going to happen.
I'm going to get my resume ready. I can see the writing on the wall.
yes man
A ¨yes man¨ is someone who always agrees with his or her superiors.
The company isn't looking to hire someone who is going to try to make a lot of changes. They're basically just looking for a yes man.


  1. I had experience on white collar job. I didn't like it very much, because I am a handy person.
  2. Each time after work I have to touch base with my employer and give her some information.
  3. My husband and kids watched  movie in the mall when I went to shopping. It was win-win situation for us.
  4. I planed to participate a very interesting work shop, but date is still up in the air.
  5. Anna heard about that job by word of mouth.
Edited by Keith    

  1. I had experience on white collar jobs. I don't like them very much, because I am a handy person.
  2. I had to touch base with my employer and gave her some information after work.
  3. My husband and kids watched  movie in the mall when I was going (delete to)shopping. It was win-win situation for us.
  4. I planed to participate a very interesting workshop, but the date is still up in the air.
  5. Anna heard about that job from word of mouth
Edited by Rita
      1.
  1. I had some experience on white collar jobs. I don't like them very much, because I am a handy person.

No comments:

Post a Comment